Monday, March 23, 2015

It Happened in England: Premier League Matchweek 30

It was a week of comebacks in the Premier League as no game seemed certain until the final minutes. Here's the recap of them all.

Manchester City 3-0 West Bromwich Albion
Here's a gave that was rendered pointless ava unwatchable after only two minutes due to the complete incompetence of referee Neil Swarbrick In that fateful second minute, City's Wilfried Bony was taken down by WBA's Craig Dawson when through on goal. The foul itself was soft ave probably not worth a red card, but one was shown anyway. The problem was, the card was given to the wrong man. Gareth McCauley, who had nothing to do with the play, was sent off for Dawson's actions.

This was a pathetic display of officiating if there ever was one. First off, if you're going to give a red in the second minute, make sure it's a very egregious foul. Dawson's takedown was far from that. Second, there's never and excuse for sending off the wrong player, ever. Swarbrick can logically defend his decision to brandish the card, but I'd like to see him talk his way around taking McCauley of instead of Dawson.

Swarbrick deserves discipline for this, and more than the one game of forth official duty that Mark Clattenberg was issued for our decisions earlier this season.

By the way, Manchester City steam rolled their way through ten man WBA for 88 minutes to win.

Newcastle 1-2 Arsenal
Oliver Giroud had a big first half, notching two goals to put the Gunners ahead 2-0 at halftime. Arsenal really took the foot off the gas after the second goal and were punished for it when Moussa Sissoko put one back for Newcastle just after the break. Arsenal's lack of urgency with possession almost cost them the full three points, but they managed to hold off the storming Geordies in the end.

Southampton 2-0 Burnley
This one got off to a terrible start for the Saints as goalkeeper Fraser Foreter was injured and stretchered off with a "serious knee injury" in the 14th minute. Backup Kelvin Davis was called in and promptly made a terrific save to rob Sam Vokes of a sure goal. It was the first of a few brilliant saves from Davis, who hasn't seen game action in over a year. Davis kept the sheet clean and got help from Shane Long, who scored his first goal since November to put Southampton up 1-0. Burnley captain Jason Shackell secured defeat for his team when he misdirected a cross into his own goal.

Stoke City 1-2 Crystal Palace
Stoke were the kings for much of the first half, but scrappy Crystal Palace earned another comeback victory. Mame Diouf was in the right place at the right time to collect a free kick from Charlie Adam and drive it home to put Stoke up 1-0 after 14 minutes. Palace would equalize on a questionable penalty call against Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic. Yannkick Bolasie was charging towards a 50/50 ball and the keeper arrived slightly late and did hit Bolasie a bit. The ensuing penalty was buried among a chorus of boos by Glen Murray. Right before halftime, Palace's comeback victory was complete when Murray received a long ball from keeper Julian Speroni, headed it slightly to Wlifried Zaha who slotted it inside the near post. Both teams traded blows throughout the second half, but Palace hung on for all three points.

Aston Villa 0-1 Swansea City
Just when it looks like Villa can't stop scoring, they struggle to find anything at home against Swansea. This was wasn't much to speak of until Bafetimbi Gomis scored from up close at the end of a nice Swansea break.

Tottenham 4-3 Leicester City
Harry Kane was at it again for Spurs as the home town kid netted a hat trick, the first two of which were found within 12 minutes. All of this after Hugo Lloris was carried off after only four minutes. Leicester would not go away quietly and managed to tie the game shortly after the break. It wasn't until Harry Kane converted a penalty in the 64th and Leicester's Jeffery Schlupp caught a bad deflection that fell into his own net. David Nugent made it interesting with a goal just before the 90 minutes were up, but it wasn't enough to earn anything for the Foxes.

West Ham 1-0 Sunderland
Another bland one that was destined for a draw until late. West Ham thought they had a chance from the penalty spot when Mark Noble was dragged down in the box on a free kick, however, the flag was up for offside first, thus nullifying any foul. Finally, it was Diafra Sakho giving the Hammers all three points when he received a pass from Noble and booted it into the far corner for the winner.

Liverpool 1-2 Manchester United
It was a neck of a day over at Anfield add this rivalry match turned into one to remember.
United controlled much of the first half and were rewarded when some sleepy defending allowed Juan Mata to run behind the back line and fire a low shot passed Simon Mingolet. Things got sour for Liverpool just after the break. Survey Gerrard was brought on as a halftime sub and lasted all of 32 seconds before he was shown straight red fir both a bad table and a stomp to the leg of Ander Herrera. Things damn well could have dropped to 10 vs. 10 when Phil Jones flew in recklessly on Jordan Henderson, but he escaped with a yellow. Of course, Mario Balotelli coming on as a sub didn't help things calm down.

After the chaos settled, Mata added a second in the 59th with a sexy bicycle kick to exurbs the Red Devils' lead to two. Dairy Sturridge put one back for Liverpool on a well placed shot passed the inside post, but it wasn't enough for Liverpool.

Hull City 2-3 Chelsea
It was a fun one at The Kingston Communications Stadium as Hull put up a good fight against the champions elect, although the home side was a little slow out of the gates. It took Eden Hazard and Diego Costa all of nine minutes to put Chelsea up 2-0. Ahmed Elmohamady and Abel Hernandez leveled the score before the half hour mark, however. Things slowed down after that until Loic Remy bagged all three points for Chelsea in the 77th.

QPR 1-2 Everton
QPR may have actually been better for the majority of the game, but Everton got an early goal from Seamus Coleman to put them up at the half. Eduardo Vargas leveled for QPR in the 65th, but Aaron Lennon scored his first goal for Everton on a scramble in front to secure the win and keep Liverpool's other team further from relegation.

No comments:

Post a Comment