Sunday, August 16, 2015

It Happened in America: Kansas City with a huge comeback, Portland rescues a late win

New York Red Bulls 3-0 Toronto FC
The Wright-Phillips brothers continue to get the job done for the red side of New York. Bradley scored the first goal for them in this one, his eleventh of the season, with a perfect chip off a pass from Mike Grella. Toronto barely even showed up to the match. They took greater advantage of Toronto's absenteeism at the stroke of 65 minutes when Anthony Wallace fired one home from close to 25 yards out. It was a shot that Joe Bendik really should have gotten his hands to. The third goal came with all of 30 seconds remaining in three minutes of stoppage time. Bradley Wright-Phillips was leading a counter, took a shot, had it stopped, only for the rebound to go right to Gonzalo Veron for the easy goal and the 3-0 win for New York.

New England Revolution 2-0 Houston Dynamo
After only 12 minutes had been played, severe weather moved in on Gillette Stadium, causing a delay that would last for more than two hours. Once they finally got started, neither team was quite ready. At halftime, another severe storm rolled in to delay the game even further. The total time elapsed between the two delays was two hours and 50 minutes. The second half was more lively than the segmented first half. New England got their first goal in the 69th minute from Jose Goncalves. The finishing goal came from Juan Agudelo in the 88th. Houston had a rough night and never got going. They only got one shot on target for the match.

Sporting Kansas City 4-3 Vancouver Whitecaps
What a comeback by SKC. It looked like Vancouver would run away with this one pretty early on. Kekuta Manneh scored twice in the first half to give the Western Conference leaders a 2-0 lead heading into the break. Kevin Ellis got Kansas City on the board with a goal in the 53rd minute. It looked like the Caps had this one put away in the 75th minute when Pedro Morales made it 3-1 on a free kick. That's when SKC took off. Dom Dwyer scored the first of the comeback in the 81st. Then Paulo Nagamura equalized in the 87th. Finally, it was Nagamura again with the winner four minutes deep into stoppage time. The loss hurts Vancouver big time. They fall out of first place in the West. Kansas City, who sits in third, is only three points out of the top spot.

FC Dallas 1-2 LA Galaxy
Michael Barrios put the home side up in the 33rd minute, but it wouldn't hold the entire match. Robbie Keane bagged the first of his two goals int he 51st minute. The second came five minutes later. The closest Dallas came to an equalizer was at the 65 minute mark when Blas Perez had a quality shot, but was robbed by Donovan Ricketts. With the win, LA leapfrogs Vancouver into first out West.

Real Salt Lake 0-1 Portland Timbers
Former Real Salt Lake defender Nat Borchers rescued this one from the grips of a scoreless draw at the death of the match. The bearded one headed home a corner in the fourth minute of second half stoppage time to secure a big three points for the Timbers. The win vaults Portland into fourth place, while RSL is still three points and three spots out of the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment