Saturday, August 22, 2015

It Happened in England: Bournemouth gets first win, Palace gets late winner from Sako

Manchester United 0-0 Newcastle
The first half of this one was fairly tame. I expected Manchester United to get a little more of a jump on the visitors, but they never really threatened to score. In fact, as the half wore on, it was Newcastle with the better chances. The second half featured some pretty defensive Newcastle tactics. The Magpies showed little interest in attacking and were quite content trying to hold out for a scoreless draw. And despite Manchester United having upwards of 70% of the ball in the second half, no goals came.

Leicester City 1-1 Tottenham
This one was really nothing special until the final ten minutes. Bamidele Alli broke a scoreless deadlock in the 81st minute with a pretty diving header near the goal post. Just when Tottenham felt they could enjoy a lead for the remainder of the match, Riyad Mahrez equalized with a shot through traffic. It was his fourth goal in three matches, which is setting the pace in the Premier League. Tottenham will rue their superior number of possession and shots, but kudos to the Foxes for weathering the storm and battling out a draw against a tough opponent. The point means that Leicester sit on top of the table until Manchester City and Liverpool play tomorrow.

Crystal Palace 2-1 Aston Villa
After no goals were scored in the first 45 minutes, Crystal Palace began attacking in earnest after the break. They though they had the lead seconds before the hour mark when James McArthur chested home a pass from Dwight Gale. Originally ruled a good goal, the referee went on to have a long talk with his assistant before finally ruling McArthur to have been offside. They would eventually get their goal in the 71st minute from Scott Dann. Their lead would only last for six minutes before Papa Souare put one into his own goal to level the score at a goal each. But joy would return to the Eagles' supporters before the end of proceedings. Bakary Sako, in his Palace debut, bagged the winner after  lazy Villa turnover in the 87th minute.

Norwich City 1-1 Stoke City
Xherdan Shaqiri was making his Stoke City debut and it didn't take long for the Swiss international to get involved. In the 11th minute he lined up to take a free kick that found the head of Mame Diouf and the back of the Norwich goal. The lead would last until shortly before the half hour mark. Russel Wilson took advantage of Stoke failing to clear their penalty area by slipping a shot through Jack Butland's five hole. That would sum up the scoring as both sides failed to break through in the second half.

Sunderland 1-1 Swansea City
it looked like this match was tracking towards a goalless first half, but Bafetimbi Gomis continues his hot start to the season by scoring his third goal in as many games in the final minute of first half stoppage time. Jermaine Defoe scored his second of they year to give the Black Cats a point on the afternoon.

West Ham 3-4 AFC Bournemouth
It took until their third game, but Bournemouth finally scored their first ever Premier League goal in the 11th minute of this one. Callum Wilson was the man with the historic moment for the Cherries by booting home a Simon Francis cross on a first time touch. They wouldn't have to wait so long for their second. Wilson pounced on a loose ball in the box to earn his brace in the 28th minute. west Ham would scratch and claw their way back into the game early in the second half. It began in the 48th minute when Mark Noble buried a penalty. The Hammers tied it up five minutes later through Cheikhou Kouyat√©. Bournemouth would recover, however. Mark Pugh put them back in front in the 66th and Wilson notched a penalty of his own to complete his hat trick in the 78th.  Modibo Maiga's 82nd minute goal would make it a game for the last ten minutes, but it wasn't enough and Bournemouth earned their first Premier League win in high scoring style..

No comments:

Post a Comment