Saturday, September 26, 2015

It Happened in England: Spurs take down City, Chelsea drop points again

Tottenham 4-1 Manchester City
Manchester City, once thought to be invincible, has now lost two straight as the fall to Tottenham at White Hart Lane. And, wouldn't you know it, the two best defensive sides in England produced write a few goals. Manchester City was hampered by the sudden benching of Vincent Kompany due to illness in warm-ups, thus weakening their ability to defend. They also choose to rest the recently injured Joe Hart. Wilfredo Caballero got the start between the sticks.

Regardless, things started off well enough for the visitors. Kevin de Bruyne's counter attack goal put City in front in the 25th minute, but Spurs wouldn't let that get them down. Eric Dier equalized just before halftime with a low roller from distance.

The second half was all Tottenham. Five minutes after the restart, Toby Alderweireld headed home a free kick to put the home side in front. Local hero Harry Kane made it 3-1 by banging home the rebound of a Christian Eriksen free kick that found the corner of the woodwork. The fourth was courtesy of Erik Lamela in the 79th minute. He was all alone on a counter attack and was able to juke out Martin Dimichelis and Caballero in front of the net for the easy goal.

It seems those who were ready to hand Manchester City the trophy after five weeks might need to slow down on they're praise a bit. They might very well still win it all in the end, but today's defeat and last week's failure at home to West Ham prove that this side is far more fallible then we thought.

Leicester City 2-5 Arsenal
The Premier League's only remaining unbeaten side is unbeaten no more. Leicester had a plethora of chances to go ahead in the first ten minutes, and Jamie Vardy did just that in the 13th. In the 18th, after the Foxes nearly went ahead by two, Theo Walcott got free behind the back line ave was able to sneak a shot off the far post and in to tie things up. The Gunners went in front in the 33rd with w nine counter attacking mine that ended Alexis Sanchez taking into an open net. Sanchez headed home his serving in the 58th following a perfect chipped pass from Mesut Ozil. Sanchez bombed home his hat trick in the 81st minute from well outside the penalty area to put this game on ice. Vardy scored in the 89th for Leicester, but Olivier Giroud restored the three goal advantage in stoppage time.

Liverpool 3-2 Aston Villa
James Milner's second minute goal gave Liverpool a nice, fast start. It took a little longer for the second to come, but at the stroke of 58 minutes, Daniel Sturridge blasted a shot home after a nice series of one touch passes to double the Reds' lead. Then things got crazy. Rudy Gestede have Villa a glint of hope in the 66th, but Sturridge's second a minute later squashed that quickly. Gestede wasn't having any of Liverpool's denials. He scored his second if the match in the 71st to once again bring Aston Villa back into the match. Once things calmed down, Liverpool was able to hold on to claim the points at home.

Stoke City 2-1 AFC Bournemouth
Jonathan Walters's goal in the 32nd have the home team the lead against the feisty Bournemouth. Stoke held on for quite a while. Dan Gosling got Bournemouth on the board in the 76th minute, but Mame Diouf gave Stoke the win with his 83rd minute winner.

West Ham 2-2 Norwich City
Fresh off their big away win against Manchester City, West Ham was looking to continue their strong start against lowly Norwich City. But it was the visitors with the first goal in under ten minutes. Robert Brady created a turnover in the West Ham defensive end and converted when he was alone against the keeper. Diafra Sakho labeled for the home side in the 32nd minute. In the 84th minute, Nathan Redmond snuck a shot through plenty of traffic into the West Ham goal and looked to give the newly promoted side all three points on the road. But West Ham had other plans. Cheikhou Kouyate salvaged a point for the Hammers by scoring in a mass scramble in the third of four stoppage time minutes.

Manchester United 3-0 Sunderland
Memphis Depay continues to tear it up with Manchester United. His goal in the fourth minute of first half stoppage time was the result off some flat footed Sunderland defending. Not even 40 seconds into the second half, Wayne Rooney doubled the Red Devils' lead with a header from extremely close range. Juan Mata finished the scoring in the final minute of regular time  to send United's fans hope with a comfortable home win.

Southampton 3-0 Swansea City
Virgil van Dijk was the man heading home a corner for the Saints in the 11th minute. Dusan Tadic made it 2-0 in the 55th minute. Sadio Mane made it three goals just after the hour mark. He was in the right place at the right time to slot a low shot inside the far post. That was all the Saints needed to take care of a Swansea side who has been off to a pretty strong start.

Newcastle 2-2 Chelsea
Man, Chelsea thought theirs hip would be righted after their 2-0 win at home against Arsenal last Saturday, and here they go out and fall flat on their faces against lowly Newcastle. Ayoze Perez opened the scoring for the Magpies in the 42nd minute. It was a gorgeous half volley, too. The second came at the hour mark courtesy of Georginio Wijnaldum's second goal in a Newcastle shirt, this one a headed corner. The Blues put some pressure on for the remaining half hour, and were able to scratch back into the match in the 79th minute with a wonderful strike from Ramires. Willian levelled the score on an equally impressive goal in the 87th minute to rescue a point. Newcastle were barely able to hang on in the end. Regardless of the comeback, Chelsea have now conceded at least a pair of goals in six of their seven games this season and are only four points from the relegation zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment