Friday, November 6, 2015

It Happened in England: Newcastle steals from Bournemouth, Stoke the latest to down Chelsea

AFC Bournemouth 0-1 Newcastle
Newcastle got away with a bit of highway robbery on the south coast this morning. Ayoze Perez scored for them in the 27th minute. To say the goal was against the run of play would be an understatement. Other than the goal, the first half was all Bournemouth. In fact, the Perez tally was the only shot Newcastle took for the first 80 minutes of the match avg they only had two overall. The visitors parked the bus in front of their goal and refused to give Bournemouth an inch of space on their way to a big, if undeserved, road victory.

West Ham 1-1 Everton
Manuel Lanzini's lopping shot found the top corner at the half hour mark to give the Hammers the lead. Everton equalized in the 43rd after Romelu Lukaku collected a picture perfect through pass from Gerard Deulofeu that traversed a good third of the pitch. Lukaku's finish was classy as well. He had to dance around both West Ham center backs to get to his chance. The second half looked better for West Ham add they kept more of the ball than their foes, but there weren't any goals to be found and it ended in a draw.

Sunderland 0-1 Southampton
Ryan Bertrand took down Yann M'Vila in the Sunderland penalty area to set up Dusan Tadic from the spot for the first goal in the 69th minute. That works be enough for Saints as they get a road win against the relegation candidates.

Norwich City 1-0 Swansea City
Jonathan Howson collected an errant defensive header and tapped it in for Norwich seconds before the 70 minute mark. That works be all it would take to see them beyond visiting Swansea, who really look like a different team every game they play.

Leicester City 2-1 Watford
The Foxes got their deserved advantage in the 52nd minute through N'Golo Kante's first of the season. A more normal goal scorer doubled the lead. Jamie Vardy, the leading scorer in all of the Premier League, buried a penalty in the 65th. Watford was able to score a penalty of their own to get in the board. It was Troy Deeney in the 75th minute getting the Hornets within a goal, but that would be all they would get.

Manchester United 2-0 West Bromwich Albion
It took United longer than it should have to give the first goal and it came from an unlikely source. Jesse Lingard collected a failed clearance and covered his attempt at goal in the 53rd minute. Their second came off a penalty in second half stoppage time. Gareth McCauley was sent off for hauling Anthony Martial to the ground as he was clear in goal to allow Juan Mata to score the goal that sealed the deal for United.

Stoke City 1-0 Chelsea
Jose Mourinho watched from the stands as he was suspended for this latest Chelsea failure. Chelsea was in charge for the first half. They controlled nearly two thirds of the ball, but the Stoke defense was up to the challenge and kept them out if the net. In the 53rd minute, Stoke counter attacked their way into their goal. Marko Arnautovic scissor kicked a cross into the back of the net to put his side ahead. Chelsea had their fair share of chances as the clock wound down. However, each time they found some way to thwart themselves in their search for an equalizer. With only a few minutes left, Loic Remy was brought down in front if the goal, which very well could have been a penalty to Chelsea, but the referee didn't make the call and the Blues were sunk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment