Saturday, November 21, 2015

It Happened in England: Leicester to the top after Arsenal and Man City fall

Watford 1-2 Manchester United
Memphis Depay's 11th minute goal was all United could muster for quite some time. United grew increasingly passive as they game wore on. In the final minutes it began to look as if the Hornets would actually equalize. In the 85th minute, Marcus Rojo chopped the leg of Odion ighalo in the penalty area to set up Troy Deeney's equalizer. United decided to step on the gas at that point and managed to get an equalizer at the death of the 90 minutes. Bastian Schweinsteiger scrambled to the far post to grab a rebound and bank home the ball off Deeney.

Chelsea 1-0 Norwich City
Jose Mourinho's side truly needed a big win to begin the salvage operation that will be the final two thirds of the season. After a scoreless first half, Diego Costa slotted home a Cesc Fabregas feed in the 64th minute to put them in front. That would be enough to give Chelsea the three points they needed.

West Bromwich Albion 2-1 Arsenal
Arsenal took an early blow as their defensive midfield stalwart Francis Coquelin went down injured and had to be replaced. Despite being short handed, they got their first goal in the 28th minute when Olivier Giroud got his head to a Mesut Ozil free kick for an easy tally. Lazy Arsenal defending on a James McClean WBA free kick from allowed the home team to go level. James Morrison was on the other end to claim the goal. A 40th minute own goal courtesy of Mikel Arteta gave West Brom the lead. McLean played the initial cross that found the arm of Arteta and bumbled its way into the goal.

Although Ozil almsot brought the Gunners level a couple minutes into the second half, Arsenal was forced to use a second substitution in the midfield for an injury. Arteta, who replaced Coquelin, went down hurt just after that Ozil chance. After pressuring for the entirety of the second half, Arsenal got their shot at an equalizer at the stroke of 83 minutes. Chris Brunt trampled Alexis Sanchez off the ball in the penalty area to set up Santi Cazorla from the spot. The Spaniard slipped on his attempt and sent his shot sailing well over the goal to keep the score at 2-1. That would be the best chance for Arsenal to resuce a result. They fall down to fourth in the table thanks to the Leicester and Manchester United wins.

Everton 4-0 Aston Villa
It was all Everton all the time here. Ross Barkley scored the first in the 17th. Romelu Lukaku made it a pair in the 28th. Barkley's second made it 3-0 in the 42nd. The second half looked much like the first. Lukaku got his second just before the hour mark to make the win all the more emphatic for Toffees. Last place Aston Villa never really stood a chance today.

Newcastle 0-3 Leicester City
Jamie Vardy continued his historic start with a goal in his tenth straight match. That equals Ruud van Nistelrooy's Premier League record for most consecutive matches with a goal. The Foxes went up two in the 62nd minute when Leonardo Ulloa was gifted a free header by absentee Newcastle defending. The rout was complete with Shinji Okazaki's rebound goal in the 83rd minute. The Liverpudlian thumping of Manchester City means Leicester, who spent last season fighting relegation, sits atop the table more than a third into the season.

Southampton 0-1 Stoke City
Bojan Krkic's well placed shot in the tenth minute gave Stoke City the early lead in Southampton. Stoke's defense held firm as they held the Saints to only one single shot on goal on their way to a big away win.

Swansea City 2-2 Bournemouth
There was plenty of first half action in Wales as Bournemouth jumped out to the early lead. It took less than ten minutes for Joshua King to find their first goal. DanGosling doubled the lead in the 25th, but that two goal advantage would only last a minute and a half before Andre Ayew pulled one back for the hosts. Some level of theatrics in the penalty area from Ayew bought them a penalty which was buried by Jonjo Shelvey to bring the score level. The second half was significantly quieter. No goals could be found and the teams had to settle for their wild first half draw.

Manchester City 1-4 Liverpool
A first half onslaught from Liverpool was more tab enough to unseat the league leaders. An own goal off of Eliaquim Mangala in the seventh minute set the tone early. Philippe Coutinho doubled the lead in the 23rd and Roberto Firminob made it three in the 32nd. Sergio Aguero pulled one back for the home team a minute before halftime,  but the hope didn't last. Martin Skrtel put a bow on the blowout on the 81st minute and City was out three home points. They drop to third place with the missed opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment