Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday Premier League: Leicester salvage a draw against West Ham

Leicester City 1-2 West Ham
The Foxes and they're dream title run next came up against West Ham, a club looking too sneak into the Champions League when the season closes in a month. The Leicester fairy tale almost took a hit in the second minute when a Dmitri Payet free kick hit both posts without crossing the line. After that early threat, the classic Leicester came to fruition. Jamie Vardy finished off one of the pacy counterattacks we have become so used to from his side at the stroke of 18 minutes to put the Foxes in front.

The second half didn't go as well. After Vardy almost added a decided goal, he was sent off for a second yellow on a pretty blatant dive in the 56th minute. Vardy was going after a long ball into the penalty area and tried to buy the foul. After holding strong for nearly a half hour, Wes Morgan committed a borderline push in the penalty area to set up Andy Carroll's equalizer from the spot. It was Leicester's first goal allowed in 574 minutes of play. The sky came falling down two minutes later with a banger of a goal from Aaron Cresswell.

It looked to be over until the final action of the match. Leicester earned a penalty on a call that was just as touchy as the one that went against them. Victor Ulloa stepped up and buried the try to rescue a point for Leicester. The Foxes are now eight points clear at the top with Tottenham stool to play tomorrow night.

AFC Bournemouth 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool had plenty of momentum after their shocking comeback win over Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League. They were able to translate that into a couple of first half goals. Roberto Firmino started it off with a goal in the 41st minute and Daniel Sturridge added the second in the second minute of stoppage time. That would be enough to win the day for the Reds. All Bournemouth could muster was a late stoppage time consolation

Arsenal 1-1 Crystal Palace
The Gunners title chase may be over, but without proper care, their Champions League spot could fall away as well. In such circumstances, it was unfortunate to see them out on one of the larger displays of apathy we have seen from anyone outside of Aston Villa this season. They looked mostly lifeless in the first half despite outright dominating possession. It wasn't until stoppage time that Alexis Sanchez finished a nice header just before the half time whistle. Arsenal's sleepy play in the second half led to them failing to stretch their lead and eventually conceding an 82nd minute equalizer to Yannick Bolasie. The draw keeps Arsenal in fourth and only four points clear of Manchester United.

No comments:

Post a Comment